Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib
Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib is built at the site in the Chandni Chowk area of Old Delhi, where the revered ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded, on Wednesday, November 24, 1675, on the orders of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam.
Before his body could be quartered, further disrespected and exposed to public view, it was recovered under the cover of darkness caused by a severe dust storm by one of the Guru's disciples, Lakhi Shah Vanjara, who then set his home alight to cremate the Guru's body.
Similarly, the 'Sis' (head) of Guru Tegh Bahadur was recovered and taken to Anandpur Sahib by Bhai Jaita, another devotee of the Guru where it was cremated by the Guru's young son, Guru Gobind Rai.
In 1675, the Guru, along with some of his companions were finally brought to Delhi and asked to convert to Islam or else face the penalty of death. Guru ji was also asked to perform a miracle. Guru Tegh Bahadur averred that he would rather sacrifice his life than give up his faith and his freedom or belief or perform a miracle. Thus, under Aurangzeb's orders, Guru ji and his companions were tortured. The Guru was chained and imprisoned in a cage and was tortured in the cruellest and the most inhuman ways for five long days. In order to terrorise him further into submission, one of his distinguished devotees (Bhai Mati Das) was sawn alive, another (Bhai Dyal Das) was boiled in the cauldron and the third (Bhai Sati Das) was roasted alive before the Guru.
Finally, the Guru himself was beheaded, under imperial warrant, in broad daylight, in the middle of a public square, the most prominent public place in India, called Chandni Chowk, of Delhi, on the charge that he was a stumbling block preventing the spread of Islam in the Indian subcontinent. The exact location of the beheading is marked by Gurdwara Sis Ganj in Delhi. Guru Tegh Bahadur thus earned the affectionate title of \"Hind-di-Chadar\" or the Shield of India.