Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib
Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib, Talwandi Sabo, Bhatinda, is the fifth seat of the authority of Sikhs. This place owes its importance to the literary work of Guru Gobind Singh Ji done here during his stay in 1706.
It was at Damdama Sahib that Guru Gobind Singh prepared the revised and authentic version of the Adi Granth which is now being honoured by the Sikhs as Guru Granth Sahib, their perpetual Guru or spiritual guide or teacher. He added to the original version prepared by Guru Arjan Dev the verses of Guru Teg Bahadur. A large number of new converts joined the fold of the Khalsa here. Guru Gobind Singh stayed at Damdama Sahib for nearly a year.
Literally, Damdama means a place to have a break and rest. Guru Gobind Singh stayed here after fighting battles against Mughal atrocities. Before his arrival at Talwandi, two of the Guru’s sons were bricked alive at Sarhind and two laid down their lives at Chamkaur Sahib. After writing Zafarnama, Guru Gobind Singh fought a successful battle at Muktsar and then moved towards Talwandi Sabo.
After leaving the fort of Sri Anandpur Sahib and passing through Chamkur Sahib, Maachiwara, Deena Kangar followed by historic war of battle in Mukatsar. Guruji arrived in Talwandi Sabo in the Year 1705 on a high elevated small piece land. On that place Guruji took a break and relaxed. Due to this reason this pious piece of land is famous as Damdama Sahib. From Damdama sahib Guruji released orders (Hukamnama) for Sikh Disciples and declared this sacred place as a Takhat.
The present building of the Takhat Sri Damdama Sahib, constructed during the 1970s under the supervision of Sant Seva Singh of Sri Keshgarh, is a spacious high-ceilinged hall, with a pavilion, at either end. The takhat (throne) proper is a 2 metre high square platform lined with white marble and marked off with numerous columns in the southern part of the hail. This is the sanctum sanctorum on which the Guru Granth Sahib is seated. After the evening service the Holy Book is carried to the old Manji Sahib in a procession of hymn-singing devotees. The interior of the sanctum is decorated with reflecting glass pieces of varying colours set in geometrical and floral designs. Over the sanctum, above the half roof, is a domed square room topped by a tall gold-plated pinnacle and an umbrella- shaped finial, with a khanda at the apex. Octagonal towers at the hall corners have also domed pavilions above them. All these domes are lined with glazed tiles in white, light yellow and light blue colours.
This Takhat was officially recognized as the fifth Takhat on Novemver 18, 1966. On demand from the Sikhs, a sub-committee was appointed by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Amritsar. A general body meeting of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee Amritsar approved the recommendations on November 18, 1966. It has been declared as fifth Takhat by the government of India in April 1999 during tercentennial celebrations of the advent of Khalsa.
The following worth seeing historical relics are preserved at Takhat Damdama Sahib.
Khanda Baba Deep Singh ji
Mirror Guru Gobind Singh ji
Sword of guru Gobind Singh ji
Stamp Takhat Damdama Sahib ji
Rifle used by Guru Gobind Singh ji
Old ADI GRANTH Guru Granth Sahib ji ( done by Baba Deep Singh ji)
All these historical items are exhibitted in Takhat Sahib in front of Sikhs present; Every Morning and Evening.