Gurdwara Chheharta Sahib
Gurudwara Chheharta Sahib, 7 km west of Amritsar, is named after a well that Guru Arjan ji had sunk. The well was so wide, and the water supply so abundant, that six Persian wheels installed around the interior of its circufrence could operate simultaneously. Hence its name Chheharta, lit. having six (chhe) Persian wheels (hart or harta).
The well has now been covered, but its water is still pumped to feed the main tank of the Gurdwara. Now developed as an industrial township, Chheharta falls within the revenue limits of Vadali Guru, a village one km to the south, where Guru Arjan stayed during 1594-97.
Set on a 6 acre walled compound, the complex includes a divan hall, with a square sanctum in the middle enclosed by a brass palisade, above which there is a square room with a lotus dome topped by a goldplated pinnacle and two Nishan Sahibs (Sikh flags), atop 25 metre tall flagposts, on either side, stand in front of the hall.
Congregations held on the fifth day of the light half of every lunar month attract large gatherings. The largest attended is the fair held on this day in the month of Magh (January-February) which marks the popular Basant Parichami festival.
Gurdwara Sri Guru ki Wadali is situated in the Village Guru Ki Wadali in Amritsar Distt. Its only 8 Km from Amritsar city. Guru Hargobind Sahib, the sixth Guru of the Sikhs was born on June 14,1595 at village Wadali, After which it was named as Guru Ki Wadali. This small village has become a place of pilgrimage, where devotees come from far and near to pay homage to Mata Ganga who gave birth to the great Guru, the giver of a new direction to the Sikh faith.