Gurdwara Ramsar Sahib
Gurdwara Ramsar stands alongside the Ramsar sarovar, the smallest of Amritsar's five
holy sarovars. Located near Chativind Gate, on the south-eastern side of the walled
city of Amritsar, the present Gurdwara Ramsar is a small marble-lined hall topped by
a gilded, fluted lotus dome.
It was built in 1855 at the site of the original shrine, where long before the present Gurdwara was constructed, Guru Arjun Dev, the fifth Sikh Guru who was looking for a quiet spot away from the growing city of Amritsar, chose this site as the spot where the Guru Granth Sahib would take form.
It was the year 1603, after the completion of the Harimandir Sahib in 1601, that the beloved Guru choose this once secluded, shady spot, about 1km away from the bustle of the town growing around the Harmandar Sahib, that the Guru set about collecting the hymns of the first four Gurus, Guru Nanak, Guru Angad, Guru Amar Dasand Guru Ram Das.
Although there was plenty of cooling shade trees around and the spot provided the quiet that the Guru needed, the cooling breezes of the Amrit Sarovar were far away. To make the surroundings more agreeable, Guru ji had a small tank dug, which he named Ramsar after his father Guru Ram Das.
He and his his scribe, Bhai Gurdasspent over a year at the site in semi-seclusion. To the teachings of the earlier Gurus, Guruji added his own compositions, as well as selections from the writings of several Hindu Saints and Muslim Pirs that shared the principles of Sikhism.
This spot was also where Guru Arjan composed his famous Sukhmani (the \"Psalm of Peace\"). As this site marks the exact location of the Guru's labours and the formal beginning of the Sikh scripture, it is only natural that this place where the current, perpetual and honoured Sikh Guru, the Guru Granth Sahib was first created, is a site of special significance for all Sikhs.