Gurdwara Degsar Sahib
Gurdwara Degsar Sahib, popularly known as Gurdwara Katana Sahib, is situated along the Sirhind Canal near Grand Trunk Road in Katana village of Ludhiana District. This beautiful Gurdwara, in the center of a lovely garden, is situated on the Doraha Nillon Link Road, by the Side of the Sirhand Canal. Gurdwara Degsar Sahib is 25 km from Ludhiana and 5 km from Doraha, which has a railway station.
Guru Gobind Singh Ji also visited the place while on his way to Dunanagar in 1705 from Machiwara. Disguised as the "Uchh Da Pir", He was accompanied by Bhai Daya Singh, Bhai Dharam Singh, Bhai Maan Singh and the two Muslim brothers Bhai Nabi Khan and Bhai Gani Khan who were serving as his palki bearers. His bed was placed under the "Ber Sahib" where he rested for the night. It is believed that Guruji had his first meal since leaving Machiwara and that he distributed the "Deg" with his holy hands And named this place as "Degsar Sahib". So whoever offers Deg with a promise, his desire is fulfilled by Guru Sahib.
During colonial rule the British had planned to relocate the Gurdwara
In the year 1854, a survey was conducted regarding Sirhind river and the British proposed to dig an irrigation canal that would require the Gurdwaras relocation, but the engineer in charge of the digging work, suddenly was blinded as he attempted to cut down the "Beri Sahib" under which Guru Sahib had slept. Blood came out wherever the ax struck the "Beri Sahib". The foreign engineer regretted And offered DEG of Rs 51 and he began to see again. Then this place was not touched at all And the river was made to bend And pass.
The river going close to GURUDWARA SAHIB is a proof to history And the "Beri Sahib" still exists. A small Gurdwara constructed by Engineer is close by And can be seen standing on a hillock. He wanted to destroy this Gurdwara And construct a Gurdwara on it but this big Gurdwara still stands firm with its glory And there is a big "Jor Mela" on every Sangraand.